You cannot remodel your past to suit how you think today, however, you do get a chance every day to model the future you desire.
You can look at your past any way you like. Here’s a few examples.
- You can look at your past and expect that’s what your future is going to look like.
- You can look at your past and marvel at how far you’ve come.
- You can look at your past and blame other people for it.
- You can spend a life-time looking at your past and regretting the decisions you’ve made.
- You can try to forget your past and grudgingly move on.
- You can accept your past, make peace with it, and then make a conscious decision to live in the present.
- Your past does not have to determine your future.
- You can be grateful you don’t live in the past. Human history wasn’t kind to a lot of people.
The person you are today is the sum of everything you’ve experienced in your life. If you like who you have become? That’s great.
If you’re not happy with who you are today? You and only you have the power to change that. You can change yourself or you can change your attitude.
The first step is to change your attitude towards yourself. Remind yourself, you are work in progress. Be happy with who you are today because when you change your attitude from negative to positive, everything in your life becomes more positive.
I’ll leave you with two of my favourite quotes.
- “A difficult past can lead to a beautiful destination.”
- “You’re meant to learn form your mistakes, not repeat them.”