The people who believe the headline are the people it applies to. Either they pretended to like somebody to get to where they are today, or they were used by somebody else.
*Remember: Some people will do anything to get to where they want to be. However, they should take heed of the following quote:
“Know your limitations and be content with them. Too much ambition results in promotion to a job you can’t do.” ~Ricky Gervais
Everybody else will question its validity because they believe life’s too short to pretend to be somebody they’re not, that’s the role actors dream of, not ordinary people.
In general people do not change a great deal; over time, they just reveal who they really are. I’ll leave you with a few interesting work quotes relating to promotion.
- “I was only kidding, of course they still like you, they’re just too busy with their new role to show you how much.” ~Already promoted.
- “Do not underestimate your abilities, that’s your boss’s responsibility.” ~Anon
- “Due to your new work load, the light at the end of the tunnel has been moved out of sight.” ~ Newly promoted.
- “Every manager I have has it in for me.” ~Never going to be promoted.
- “Your role is to ensure your boss always thinks they’re smarter than you are.” ~Wants to be promoted.