Time is not your enemy, it’s your friend because with the passing of time you learn how to prioritize what you need in your life. It’s amazing how the things you thought were important at twenty become something that’s immaterial at fifty.
I read an article recently about some of the most common regrets people had before they died and I didn’t see any of the following on the list.
- I wish I had a bigger house.
- I wish I had bigger feet.
- I wish I had more money in the bank.
- I wish I managed to be fake so I fitted in more.
- I wish I spent more time at work.
- I wish I’d taken more selfies.
- I wish I didn’t spend as much time with my friends as I did.
- I wish I had better clothes to wear.
There’s a very good reason for those regrets not appearing on the list because time has taught you that they are not the important things in life.
One of the most common regrets on the list was, “I wish I had allowed myself to be happier.” I can look back on my own life and appreciate this one, however.
This is one regret that’s within everybody’s power to change, and there’s no time like the present to start appreciating everything you’ve got in your life today. I’ll leave you with one final thought.
You can be happy now but if you take your happiness for granted, you may not realise how happy you are.